Questions to ask yourself when studying the Bible (by Tim Chester)
Here is my one page guide to understanding the Bible. It’s based around the following six questions:
- What does the passage say?
- Why does the author say in this way?
- Why does the author say it here?
- Why does this passage belong at this point in the Bible story?
- What response did the author want from his readers?
- What response should we make today?
In short: ‘What?’ ‘Why?’ and ‘So what?’ It is the ‘Why?’ question that too often get missed out as people expound the Bible along with the question about what response the original author was looking for.
I’ll be using it with my Northern Training students next week, getting them to apply it to Ephesians 2:1-10.