Preaching is verbal oral communication of which the following things are true:
- It’s contents is God’s gracious and special self-disclosure. For evangelicals, its contents is the Bible, as it’s focus is Jesus Christ.
- It is biblical truth mediated through human personality.
- Its immediate purpose is to inform, persuade, appeal, invite a response, encourage, rebuke, instruct in righteousness. More generally put: to illicit an appropriate human response to the God who’s revelation is its content.
- Its ultimate goal is the glory of God and the calling forth and edification of the church.
- It has an inescapable heraldic element.