(Update: Col Marshall has a good article introducing the concept and ministry of one to one Bible reading that everyone who reads this post should consult)
Four steps to preparation (from One to One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian, p. 35):
- Pray for understanding and that God will use these meetings to grow your mutual faith in the power of the gospel.
- Read through the assigned portion of the Bible at least twice.
- Write down your impressions after reading the text each time – observations, main points, questions you have (depending on what sort of framework you are useing).
- Pray based on what you have read, and pray again for your forthcoming meeting.
- No prep time
- Pick a passage or book to go through regularly
- Look for an insight, question, application, and who you want to share what you learned with.
- Discuss together and pray
- Choose passage or book
- See prep time above
- Read passage out loud
- Ask questions of Context, Observations, Meaning, and Applications.
- Pray together about what you learned
- Use these sheets
- 15 minutes prep time for everyone before meeting – writing 5 things about the passage (insights, application, questions, etc).
- 30 minute discussion time – read the passage aloud together and discuss your 5 things