I’ve been thinking of how to bless pastors in LA and create contexts for pastors to get to know others and build friendships and partnerships for mutual encouragement. My experience up to this point is meeting up with pastors, talking, sharing prayer requests, and then praying with them.
In a or less organized way, I have two different pastor monthly meetings that I attend. They are both geared at sharing what’s going on in life and ministry lately, accompanied by prayer requests, and a time of prayer. I find these times encouraging. But I long for more. Not more meetings like this, but more out of these unique times together with other pastors in the harvest field shepherding local churches. I try to learn all I can with questions, but I wonder if there’s more that we could do.
I like the Toronto Pastors’ Fellowship. I like what they do, when they meet, and how intentional the time is when they meet to maximize their time together. I like that there is a doctrinal statement that unites them. But my idea is a bit more organic and informal assuming it’s a smaller group of pastors that join this fellowship.
Our time would revolve around one or two pointed questions, learning from each others’ answers, and then praying with/for each other. Then lunch. So some questions I’d propose for various scheduled pastor gatherings would be:
- What are barriers to the gospel that you’ve identified in our city?
- How do you personally develop relationships with gospel intentionality?
- How do you cultivate romance and a mutually edifying relationship with your spouse? (for single pastors attending: what issues do you face as a single pastor when it comes to the area of romance and marriage?)
- How have you developed leaders and shared leadership?
- Do you practice membership? If so, how do you do it?
- How do you lead your church to be an encouragement to other churches and Christians outside of your church?
- How do you equip your members to evangelize?
- What is your personal Bible reading plan and how do you cultivate joy in Christ and holiness in your life?
- What are some challenges you face in preaching/teaching?
- What would an ideal pastors’ fellowship look like? What would they do? How often would they meet?
- What does personal accountability look like for you? To whom are you accountable? Is it structured or organic? To what degree?