Edwards exhorts us to a single-minded occupation with God in season and out of season. Edwards calls this effort to know God “divinity” rather than theology. It is a science far above all other sciences. Listen to what he says we should occupy ourselves with:
God himself, the eternal Three in one, is the chief object of this science; and next Jesus Christ, as God-man and Mediator, and the glorious work of redemption, the most glorious work that ever was wrought: then the great things of the heavenly world, the glorious and eternal inheritance purchased by Christ, and promised in the gospel; the work of the Holy Spirit of God on the hearts of men; our duty to God, and the way in which we ourselves may become . . . like God himself in our measure. All these are objects of this science. (Works, II, 159)
If the single-minded occupation with these things is left to a few academic theologians in the colleges and seminaries, while pastors all become technicians and managers and organizers, there may be superficial success for a while, as Americans get excited about one program or the other, but in the long run the gains will prove shallow and weak, especially in the day of trial.
So the first exhortation from Edwards is be radically single-minded in your commitment to know God.
- “Spiritual leadership is using God’s methods to get his people where he wants them in reliance on his power.” desiringgod.org 2 days ago
- What we need is barrier-breaking belief in the truths of God’s Word and in the truth himself, Jesus our Messiah.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- Limiting Lies and Barrier-breaking Beliefs gospelize.me/limiting-lies-… 4 days ago
- Great questions for self examination: sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/201… 6 days ago
- You want the gospel to spread everywhere but find it challenging to find a strategic gospel-centered/expository min… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- 3 Reasons to Consider our Trials Great Joy - a James 1:2-4 CrossView Sermon
- What year was Jesus born and what year did he die and rise?
- The Pastor's Role: Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities of a Pastor/Shepherd/Elder/Overseer
- Pastor/Elder Vows and ordination
- Six Sample Church Covenants
- D. A. Carson Audio sermons and lectures - Free MP3's from around the Web
- Download ESV Bible mp3 files for free to memorize/meditate!
- Thoughts on the title "Lead Pastor" vs. "Senior Pastor"
- Mark Dever on the PhD and the Pulpit: "On Having a Doctorate in the Pastorate"
- About Me