I’ve been enjoying reinforcing my understanding of the big picture of church history. I’ve used 3 resources so far in doing it and wanted to recommend them with a fourth resource that I plan to use later this year.
- The Early Church: Spiritual Conquest of the Roman Empire (30-325AD) – mp3/notes
- Christological Controversies and Augustine (325-590AD) – mp3/notes
- Medieval Christianity: Popes, Monks, Crusaders, and Scholastics (590-1517) – mp3/notes
- The Reformation: Luther, Zwingli, the Anabaptists (1517-1559AD) – mp3/notes
- The Reformation: Calvin, the English Reformation (1536-1603AD) – mp3/notes/outline of English Reformation
- America: Puritans, Two Awakenings, Slavery (1609-1900) – mp3/notes
- 20th century: Fundamentalism vs. Modernism, Missions – mp3/notes
Resource #2 – Lig Duncan does a survey of church history in one lecture. He does an excellent job. I tried finding it on the web but couldn’t. I downloaded it but I don’t remember where. It’s Lig’s talk at Capitol Hill Baptist Church a few years ago. If anyone knows where that is please let me know.
Resource #4 – There is a 200 page book by Christopher Catherwood called, Church History: A Crash Course for the Curious which I’m almost done reading and found it very rewarding and insightful in fresh ways.