Dave Harvey’s evaluation of the missional mentality:
Strengths of the movement:
- Missional churches have a commendable example of evangelism.
- Missional churches have a laudable commitment to engaging culture.
- They have a profitable impulse to reexamining church tradition
- They also possess an admirable devotion to social impact.
Weaknesses of the movement:
- Missional churches tend to be mission-centered rather than gospel-centered
- Missional churches tend to have a reductionistic ecclesiology (by minimizing worship and edification as major purposes of the church).
- Missional churches tend to confuse culture engagement with cultural immersion
- Missional Churches Tend to Downplay the Institutional and Organizational Nature of the Church.
- Missional Churches Tend to Have an Insufficient Understanding of Apostolic Ministry.
Advertisement: Support this site by visiting Westminster Books. Even just clicking and visiting helps! It’s an excellent site for good Christian books.