1. What’s one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
Work on specific applications to all of the sermons I hear. Then consciously think of how to apply truth, ask the Spirit for help, and then praise God when there is grace to obey.
2. What’s the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?
(1) to lead my wife better and to edify and encourage her everyday, (2) to have leaders ready to lead the student ministry without me. (3) to save 5 people that I build relationships with this year. (4) to have a heart overflowing with praise and song and gratitude everyday and even in the middle of trial.
3. What’s the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
Plan. Take time every week, one hour on Sunday, to plan my time so that I don’t cheat them of the time they deserve and need of me. I also need to execute the plan and schedule
4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year, and what will you do about it?
Journal. I need to reflect more and ask deeper questions. I will journal at 930pm every night for at least 15 minutes
5. What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year?
Surfing the internet. I will have scheduled times for internet use and I will listen and humbly consider Frances’ observations and facial expressions when I’m on the internet
6. What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?
Building up the leadership. I need to work to encourage and strengthen the pastoral team, and then work on male leadership in the church and student ministry
7. For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
My friend Leon Lorenzo
8. What’s the most important way you will, by God’s grace, try to make this year different from last year?
Be more organized. Meet with people with accountability, especially my lovely wife
9. What one thing could you do to improve your prayer life this year?
Set aside time in the morning to pray for people specifically. Have an organized routine to make sure I’m praying for people. I need to also sleep early the night before to make sure I wake up on time
10. What single thing that you plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
Memorize Scripture. Memorize chunks of Scripture. Like the Pastoral Epistles, James, John 14-16, or other important chunks that can shape my life and heart
In addition to these ten questions, here are twenty-one more to help you “Consider your ways.” Think on the entire list at one sitting, or answer one question each day for a month.
11. What’s the most important decision you need to make this year?
What to do about schooling – whether Th. M., Ph. D., D. Min, or none at all
12. What area of your life most needs simplifying, and what’s one way you could simplify in that area?
My book reading. I need to make a list and schedule of what needs to be read
13. What’s the most important need you feel burdened to meet this year?
Shepherding my wife and keeping my heart aflame for God and not just growing in biblical knowledge
14. What habit would you most like to establish this year?
Praying, journaling, planning my week, and asking Frances for how I can improve
15. Who do you most want to encourage this year?
My wife. Secondly, my brother Yek.
16. What is your most important financial goal this year, and what is the most important step you can take toward achieving it?
Keeping the budget. The most important step to achieving it is to not just let Frances fill in the input but for me to review it weekly
17. What’s the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your work life this year?
Plan, schedule, and execute. Also hold the pastors accountable and have them hold me accountable, and not be passive about that. I’ll need to work out my doctrinal issues regarding the end times
18. What’s one new way you could be a blessing to your pastor (or to another who ministers to you) this year?
Hold them accountable and encourage them when I see evidences of grace in their lives
19. What’s one thing you could do this year to enrich the spiritual legacy you will leave to your children and grandchildren?
Pray every morning for my day for at least 30 minutes
20. What book, in addition to the Bible, do you most want to read this year?
The New Dictionary of Biblical Theology
21. What one thing do you most regret about last year, and what will you do about it this year?
I regret not taking my wife out on more dates and planning them better. I will take more initiative and plan for them in the beginning of my week (on Sunday)
22. What single blessing from God do you want to seek most earnestly this year?
An awareness and closeness to God so that I see Christ in all things and love him more progressively as the year goes on
23. In what area of your life do you most need growth, and what will you do about it this year?
Besides other things mentioned, shepherding and loving the flock and sharing more of our lives together
24. What’s the most important trip you want to take this year?
A trip to the Philippines in February. It is important because it will open my eyes to the needs out there and help me live and serve as a world Christian, with more thought about the world and the place of our lives and ministry here in relation to what God is doing all over the world
25. What skill do you most want to learn or improve this year?
Greek and Hebrew exegesis. So I need to plan for this
26. To what need or ministry will you try to give an unprecedented amount this year?
Sierra View and/or Desiring God
27. What’s the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your commute this year?
Be more organized and systematic in what I need to listen to
28. What one biblical doctrine do you most want to understand better this year, and what will you do about it?
Ecclesiology – Read Polity, 9 Marks Newsletters, and systematic theologies on this doctrine and then teach it in our CFBC Men’s Leadership Training
29. If those who know you best gave you one piece of advice, what would they say? Would they be right? What will you do about it?
Be organized and faithful to your schedule
30. What’s the most important new item you want to buy this year?
Maybe a laptop?
31. In what area of your life do you most need change, and what will you do about it this year?
I need to change how I spend my free time. I will make a schedule and stick to it (how many times have I said that in this interview? God is trying to communicate a point to me)